Translate

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The Floor’s Traveling Piano

Dear Diary:

After my daughters’ piano teacher suggested I trade in their keyboard for an upright piano, I spent some time looking for one online. That same day, I stepped out of my Upper West Side apartment onto the landing, which is shared with two other apartments, and there, taking up most of the small hallway was an old but lovely upright piano.
The super came by and, to my great surprise, informed me that he was throwing it out. As a New Yorker, I assumed the worst: bedbugs, termites, mice. The super assured me that aside from needing some tuning, there was nothing wrong with it.
I contacted the neighbors and they confirmed they were disposing of the piano to make their apartment appear more spacious as they prepared to put it on the market. They asked if I would like to have it, and I readily accepted. They thought it fitting that I should take it, since they had inherited it from our other neighbor who had owned it for 50 years before she died a year earlier.
My daughters are thrilled with the piano and its history, and we look forward to passing on “the floor’s piano” to another set of neighbors in the coming years.

No comments:

Post a Comment