Translate

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Apple CEO Tim Cook officially comes out as gay

saying that his sexuality is one of the 'greatest gifts God has given me'

  • Tim Cook said he had never denied his sexuality and his colleagues knew
  • But acknowledged he had never publicly admitted that he was gay
  • He said being gay had helped him develop the 'skin of a rhinoceros'
  • Declaration makes Mr Cook the highest-profile business CEO to come out 
  • It comes four months after CNBC's Simon Hobbs accidentally outed Cook live on air
Apple CEO Tim Cook has come out as gay for the first time, declaring his sexual orientation is one of the 'greatest gifts God has given me'.
Mr Cook, 53, said he had been open with many people about his sexuality for years but wanted to maintain a level of privacy in the public sphere.
However, in a first-person article for BloombergBusinessweek, he said he hopes coming out will inspire people to insist on their right to equality - and that is 'worth the trade-off with my own privacy'.
The declaration makes Mr Cook the highest-profile business CEO to have come out as being gay.



Apple CEO Tim Cook has come out as gay saying  his sexuality is one of the 'greatest gifts God has given me'Mr Cook, pictured at gay pride on June 29, said his sexuality has been 'tough and uncomfortable' at timesMr Cook, pictured at gay pride on June 29, said his sexuality has been 'tough and uncomfortable' at times


Writing in Businessweek Mr Cook wrote: 'Let me be clear: I’m proud to be gay, and I consider being gay among the greatest gifts God has given me.
'Being gay has given me a deeper understanding of what it means to be in the minority and provided a window into the challenges that people in other minority groups deal with every day. 
'It’s made me more empathetic, which has led to a richer life.'  
He added: 'If hearing that the CEO of Apple is gay can help someone struggling to come to terms with who he or she is, or bring comfort to anyone who feels alone, or inspire people to insist on their equality, then it’s worth the trade-off with my own privacy.'

No comments:

Post a Comment