Translate

Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Metropolitan Diary A Band’s Progress Through the Seasons

Dear Diary:
I know it is fall again.
I am a psychotherapist and my office, a brownstone on the Upper East Side, shares a courtyard with the Rudolf Steiner School. In between hot summer days with my air-conditioner’s whirring, and the colder months with windows shut tight, I enjoy fall and spring with my window wide open and the sounds of an occasional bird, siren or horn honking from nearby Madison Avenue.
Like clockwork around the second week of September, another set of sounds emanates from the courtyard. Banging drums, horns out of tune and rhythms that make no sense waft up to my window loudly. My patients and I wink at each other knowingly. It is the school’s band beginning another year.
Fast forward six months to spring … the windows are open again. This time my patients and I will open our ears in amazement. The Rudolf Steiner school band now sounds like a symphony.

No comments:

Post a Comment